Each year, JAG selects a handful of students to take their leadership training to the next level and participate in the University of Phoenix Leads Program. Leads students participate in regular meetings to receive additional training in leadership development and play a critical role in planning and implementing statewide events including Legislative Day and the Career Development Conference. The Leads represent Arizona JAG students on a State and National level including at the National Student Leadership Academy in Washington D.C. The Leads take the skills and knowledge they obtain back to their individual JAG programs to share with their fellow students.
For the second straight year, the Leads program is made possible through a partnership with the University of Phoenix. Along with University of Phoenix’s generous support, several employees donate their time to mentor the Leads students. These mentors help guide, encourage, and support the Leads as well as give them a professional’s perspective on the skills the Leads learn.
Program responsibilities for Leads students include:
- Participation in bi-monthly meetings to receive additional training in leadership development
- Planning and implementing all aspects of Legislative Day and the Career Development Conference (CDC)
- Representing JAG Arizona and participating at the Jobs for America’s Graduates National Student Leadership Academy (NSLA) held each November
- Using skills obtained through the Student Leadership Team Training to improve JAG Programs at all JAG schools
- Actively seeking opportunities to recognize JAG Corporate and Education partners and sponsors
Benefits of Participation for JAG Student Leaders:
- Skills development and practice related to professional workplace skills
- Opportunity to engage with JAG Board and other professional leaders
- Exposure with Business and Education leaders
- 1:1 mentoring with University of Phoenix Employees
- Opportunity to represent JAG Arizona at the National Student Leadership Academy